Hello Sven:

Thanks for your answer. Simplifies my life a lot.

------

There is another C99/gcc built-in with the potential to speed up code a lot:
the restrict keyword.

See:

http://www.cellperformance.com/mike_acton/2006/05/demystifying_the_restrict_keyw.html

I'll build two versions of the gegl-sampler-yafr code (one of which which I'll
masquerade as gegl-sampler-cubic so I can run both without recompiling) and run
careful benchmarks this weekend. One version will stay away from restrict and
c99 math intrinsics, the other will not (first pass, I may not go as far as
making explicit calls to fma, although my code is structured in the hope that
the compiler recognizes fused multiply-adds when appropriate).

I don't quite understand the issues of writing c++ code using c99 features
(this is why knowing that they are gcc built-ins is useful, provided one knows
that gcc will be the compiler).

Maybe I'll inspire myself from

http://www.ddj.com/cpp/184401653

Nicolas Robidoux
Laurentian University/Universite Laurentienne