On 09/30/2010 11:11 AM, Sven Neumann wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 07:36 +0200, Martin Nordholts wrote:
>
>>> GIMP tends to claim C89 compatibility; we shouldnt assume more modern
>>> language standard than GIMP does.
>>
>> Hi Øyvind
>>
>> What problems do you expect us to get if we begin to rely on an 11 year
>> old standard instead of a 21 year old standard?
>>
>> At what time has enough time passed for us to feel comfortable using the
>> improvements in C99?
>
> As soon as enough compilers support it so that we don't loose platform
> compatibility.
>
> What specific C99 features are we talking about at all? Is there a
> specific feature that you guys would like to use?

I like in particular

  * designated initializers

    Nice to have

  * // comments

    Using /* */ for documentation and // for comments increases code
    readability since different comment semantics gets different
    syntax

  * mixed declarations and code

    Because variables can be declared closer to where they are used

  * new block scopes for selection and iteration statements

    So one can have for (int i = 0; i < N; i++) i.e. not having to
    declare 'i' beforehand

  * macros with a variable number of arguments

    Allows us to remove some hacks to handle compilers without such
    support

  * trailing comma allowed in enum declaration

    Nicer diffs

Regards,
Martin

--