https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/14/world/asia/china-liu-xiaobo-nobel.html
 点击查看本文中文版 https://cn.nytimes.com/china/20170717/china-liu-xiaobo-nobel/

 By CHRIS BUCKLEY https://www.nytimes.com/by/chris-buckley JULY 14, 2017
 Continue reading the main story
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/14/world/asia/china-liu-xiaobo-nobel.html#story-continues-1Share
 This Page Share Tweet Email More Save
30

 Photo

Liu Xia, the wife of the Nobel Peace Prize laureate Liu Xiaobo, with their
photograph in her apartment in Beijing in 2012. CreditNg Han Guan/Associated
Press BEIJING — As Liu Xiaobo
https://www.nytimes.com/topic/person/liu-xiaobo?mcubz=2, China
http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/china/index.html?inline=nyt-geo’s
 most famous political prisoner, lay dying under police guard, he struggled to
finish what was probably his last written work. It was not a political
statement, but a sometimes playful, sometimes darkly cryptic, tribute to his
wife, Liu Xia, an artist and poet who endured house arrest while he served an
11-year prison sentence.
 “Love as intense as ice, love as remote as blackness,” reads one of the
handwritten notes Mr. Liu wrote in a hospital in the northeastern city of
Shenyang before he died of liver cancer
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/13/world/asia/liu-xiaobo-dead.html on Thursday.
“My praise is perhaps an unforgivable poison,” he wrote in the brief and
sometimes fragmentary tribute to his wife and her art.
 Mr. Liu’s notes were for the preface of an unpublished collection of his
wife’s photographs provisionally titled “Accompanying Liu Xiaobo
http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/l/liu_xiaobo/index.html?inline=nyt-per.”
 His notes and the photo collection were shared by a Chinese editor who was a
friend of the couple and who had helped compile the book. The editor said Mr.
Liu made contact late last month and that people close to Mr. Liu later passed
on pictures of his notes from the hospital. The editor asked to remain
anonymous, citing fear of repercussions.
 Mr. Liu will remain best known as an obdurate dissident who was awarded the
Nobel Peace Prize http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/11/world/europe/11nobel.html
in 2010 while in prison. He was sentenced in 2009, the year after he helped
issue a petition calling for democratic change
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2009/01/15/chinas-charter-08/ that led to his
arrest http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/11/world/asia/11china.html.

 But his last known writing shows how Mr. Liu, whose fame began in the 1980s
when he was a quarrelsome literary academic, remained an artistic soul who drew
inspiration from Ms. Liu and feared for her future. She has lived under
constant police watch
https://sinosphere.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/11/29/isolation-under-house-arrest-for-wife-of-imprisoned-nobel-laureate/?mcubz=2
 since Mr. Liu received the Nobel Peace Prize.
 Ms. Liu’s book may include a few poems that speak of the couple’s bond, and of
the isolation and anguish she endured while Mr. Liu was imprisoned, said the
editor, who is seeking a foreign publisher.
 Her black-and-white photographs include many images of dolls with pained
expressions in nightmarish settings. Some of the images have been exhibited
before. One shows a doll locked in a birdcage, holding a flickering candle.
Another shows a doll whose arms and legs are tied with strips of cloth.
 In one poem dedicated to Mr. Liu, which was shared by the editor, Ms. Liu
wrote:
 I know sooner or later the day will come
 When you’ll leave me
 And walk alone down the road of darkness.
 Many other people have voiced concern for Ms. Liu since the government
revealed that Mr. Liu had advanced liver cancer late last month, a point at
which a cure was nearly impossible.
 Friends and supporters said they feared that Chinese security forces could
force Ms. Liu back into house arrest, although she has not been accused of any
crime.
 Ms. Liu has found her isolation hard to take. In a rare interview
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-ap-exclusive-china-nobel-wife-speaks-on-detention-2012dec06-story.html
 in 2012, when reporters with The Associated Press managed to evade guards
outside her apartment in Beijing, she said, “Kafka could not have written
anything more absurd.”
 Now Ms. Liu will not have even the consolation of visiting her husband once a
month and hoping for his release.
 “That’s what we’re worried about. Now he’s gone, we’re all worried that Liu
Xia will face serious difficulties and struggle to cope,” said Wu Yangwei, a
writer who uses the pen name Ye Du and was a friend of the couple.
Photo

A photograph by Liu Xia of her husband with a doll. Many of Ms. Liu’s works
show dolls in surreal settings.CreditLiu Xia, via European Pressphoto Agency
“If she stays in China, the house arrest and surveillance won’t let up for
several years at least,” Mr. Wu said. “She needs to go somewhere free so that
she can preserve her health, otherwise the consequences could be unthinkable.”
 The United States https://www.state.gov/secretary/remarks/2017/07/272579.htm,
the European Union
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_STATEMENT-17-2032_en.htm and other Western
governments voiced the same fears, as did the United Nations High Commissioner
for Human Rights
http://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=21870. In
tributes to Mr. Liu, they all urged Beijing to end the unofficial detention of
Ms. Liu, and to allow her to leave China if she wants.

 “There’s an incredible sense of urgency about how best to help her,” said
Sophie Richardson https://www.hrw.org/about/people/sophie-richardson, the China
director of Human Rights Watch. “Every single government I’ve talked to in the
last week has been very focused on how to try to help her. We are sick with
worry about the prospect of her just going right back into house arrest.”

 At a briefing on Friday, a spokesman for the Foreign Ministry, Geng Shuang,
bristled at the international criticism that followed Mr. Liu’s death and
brushed aside repeated questions about whether Ms. Liu would be allowed to
leave the country. He said, as Beijing officials often do, that such matters
were part of China’s internal affairs.
 Mr. Geng also called Mr. Liu’s Nobel Prize
http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/science/topics/nobel_prizes/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier
 a “blasphemy.”
 “His words and deeds go against the principles and purposes of the peace
prize,” Mr. Geng said.
 But Mr. Liu’s handwritten preface also reflected his passion for art,
literature and ideas, a side of him that became obscured in the focus on his
political activism and his Nobel Prize.
 “Appreciation has become my destiny in life, perhaps it’s the instinct of a
polar bear enjoying hibernation in the vast snows,” he wrote in the tribute to
his wife and her art.
 Mr. Liu shot to official notoriety in 1989, when he sided with the student
protesters who occupied Tiananmen Square to demand political liberalization. He
was arrested days after the armed crackdown of June 3-4, when he and three
friends helped avoid bloodshed on the square itself by negotiating with
soldiers to let protesters leave peacefully. He served 21 months in detention.
 But before that turning point, Mr. Liu was already known as a combative and
original literary thinker
http://www.chinaheritagequarterly.org/017/features/ConfessionRedemptionDeath.pdf.
 His dying comments on his wife’s work show how that artistic background stayed
with him, and underline the bond formed with Ms. Liu through poems they wrote
for each other.
 “Liu Xia’s photographs and Liu Xiaobo’s poems struggle with shared demons,”
Perry Link http://chass.ucr.edu/about/faculty/profiles/perry_link.html, a
professor of Chinese at the University of California, Riverside, wrote in his
introduction for the unpublished selection of Ms. Liu’s work, which he agreed
to share. “The two artists look, feel and worry side by side.”
 Mr. Liu and Ms. Liu met in the 1980s, when they belonged to a broad circle of
writers, artists and academics embracing the new freedom and ideas opened up by
economic reform and a measure of political relaxation. Ms. Liu abandoned a job
in the financial bureaucracy to write poetry and make art. Mr. Liu completed a
doctorate in literature but bridled at convention and censorship.
 Later, after their first marriages had broken up and Mr. Liu emerged from
prison, they became close. They married in 1996 while he was serving a sentence
in a labor camp for his political advocacy.
 “I lived as a convict’s wife. During this period of intense loneliness and
desperation I began taking black-and-white photographs,” Ms. Liu wrote in a
dedication at the front of the book. “I am so grateful to my family for their
inexhaustible love during the difficult times.”

 Follow Chris Buckley on Twitter @ChuBailiang https://twitter.com/ChuBailiang.
 Steven Lee Myers contributed reporting. Adam Wu contributed research.

 A version of this article appears in print on July 15, 2017, on Page A7 of the
New York edition with the headline: A Political Prisoner’s Dying Words for His
Wife, Also Under China’s Scrutiny. Order Reprints http://www.nytreprints.com/|
Today's Paper http://www.nytimes.com/pages/todayspaper/index.html|Subscribe