---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: The National Security Archive <nsarc...@gwu.edu>
Date: Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 8:00 PM
Subject: CIA declassifies more of "Zendebad, Shah!" – internal study of
1953 Iran coup
To: ilmeseng...@gmail.com

CIA declassifies more of "Zendebad, Shah!" – internal study of 1953 Iran
coup
National Security Archive Electronic Briefing Book No.618

*View the posting*
<http://salsa4.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=6Ew1KMEsOeiTu20fkcI6ETFgmbyBXfkA>

*Washington, D.C., February 12, 2018 –* A partially-declassified CIA
history of the 1953 coup in Iran, released in late 2017, includes an-depth
critique of how the agency approached the operation, highlighting the
effects of bureaucracy and politics on the conduct of U.S. clandestine
activities. The CIA report, posted today by the George Washington
University-based National Security Archive, also reveals details about the
hatching of the covert plot as well as its execution.

Portions of the history, *“Zendebad, Shah!”*, have been made public twice
before
<http://salsa4.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=vquv8WfVzq3QFc2vM76AaTFgmbyBXfkA>
–
in 2000 and 2011 – but those versions were identical and provided only the
unclassified passages of the roughly 139-page document, withholding the
rest on secrecy grounds. Last year, in response to the most recent
Mandatory Declassification Review request by the National Security Archive,
the CIA conducted another re-review, this time producing considerably more
text, although still holding back a substantial amount.

Today’s posting includes side-by-side examples to illustrate some of the
differences in releases over the years.

Check out today's posting at the National Security Archive
<http://salsa4.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=HR2f%2FvgPw8lU5Lm5kBncdzFgmbyBXfkA>

Find us on Facebook
<http://salsa4.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=OH5h33brBzmA1sw0S6WIATFgmbyBXfkA>

Read Unredacted
<http://salsa4.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Zw%2F3%2B0v7Wlf4QBLw2Cuf8TFgmbyBXfkA>,
the Archive blog

------------------------------

THE NATIONAL SECURITY ARCHIVE is an independent non-governmental research
institute and library located at The George Washington University in
Washington, D.C. The Archive collects and publishes declassified documents
acquired through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). A tax-exempt public
charity, the Archive receives no U.S. government funding; its budget is
supported by publication royalties and donations from foundations and
individuals.

PRIVACY NOTICE The National Security Archive does not and will never share
the names or e-mail addresses of its subscribers with any other
organization. Once a year, we will write you and ask for your financial
support. We may also ask you for your ideas for Freedom of Information
requests, documentation projects, or other issues that the Archive should
take on. We would welcome your input, and any information you care to share
with us about your special interests. But we do not sell or rent any
information about subscribers to any other party.

[image: donate now]
<http://salsa4.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=15OVBrJcdBvvHe%2BMlRGWnDFgmbyBXfkA>

Connect with us     [image: YouTube]
<http://salsa4.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Nc3oJh%2FNLDUYGLexVYCfczFgmbyBXfkA>[image: