Collecting the necessary information in Python up front seems reasonable to
me.

As far as where the C++ code would go, it seems to me it could either be a
method on the BaseCPU object or a global function in the x86 ISA namespace.
The latter makes sense if we're trying not to pollute the CPU model with a
lot of ISA-specific stuff.  I don't see the advantage of making the ISA a
SimObject instead of a namespace unless we want to do something like make it
a template parameter of the CPU objects (to enable heterogeneous ISA
support).

Steve