I just confirmed that
SPARC_SE/tests/opt/long/70.twolf/sparc/linux/simple-timing includes a
brk() call that tries to shrink the heap, which with the old
obreakFunc()  triggers the ChunkGenerator assertion I added.

It turns out that in the old broken code if the previous break val was
at a page boundary (so that everything up to but not including that
page was allocated) and then you lowered the break, then the code
would allocate a new page at the old break val anyway (since it
assumed that you were increasing the break).  So I think what happened
is that in the old bogus code the page allocation was slightly
different, which would lead to different physical addresses and thus
different cache conflicts.  So if it was just a timing difference I'd
be fine with that, but the instruction count changed too, so I'll poke
at it a little more and see if there's something else going on.

Steve