> If #2 didnt exist, then that would make more sense to me. That would make an
> instruction HAVE to use the threadContext interface to access any CPU
> facilities. That would also remove the CPU pointer from the instruction
> object as well.
>
> If that were the solution, I would be OK with it, because then the CPU would
> be appropriately encapsulated away from an instruction's commands...

It turns out that I had forgotten about the relationship between
ThreadContext, ExecContext, and registers. I had a chance to discuss
this with Steve and Gabe today and Gabe has agreed to write something
up to describe how to solve this problem cleanly across the CPU
models.  I think that part of the problem is that the register file
shouldn't really be defined in the ISA, and the ExecContext needs a
consistent way for accessing registers.  We'll probably end up with
new functions for accessing registers from other threads instead of
modifying the existing ones.  Hopefully one of the things that will
fall out of this work is consistent, working thread support across the
various CPU models.

  Nate