On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 9:09 PM, nathan binkert <n...@binkert.org> wrote:
>> How different are ITBs and DTBs anyway?  It seems like for a UTB you'd
>> want a single object that handles both ifetch and data translations
>> using a common translate() method, not something that inherits from
>> two different classes.  E.g., why not just derive it from TLB?
> The two translation functions are different because every ISA does
> some different things for instructions vs data.  Think about something
> like the executable bit.

Right, but you could have a flag that says "ifetch" (or an
ifetch/read/write enum in place of the read/write flag we have now) to
control that behavior.  Then the current ITB would panic on a read or
write request, and the DTB would panic on an ifetch, but a UTB could
handle all of the above.

Or more realistically we could just punt on having separate ITB and DTB classes.

Steve