On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 2:38 PM, nathan binkert<n...@binkert.org> wrote:
>> I'll comment on the rest of this discussion once I've had a chance to
>> read through it and think about it. My immediate thought is that while
>> a simplified manual roll over sort of mechanism would avoid using the
>> library functions and their potential system dependence, even
>> something simple like keeping track of when to roll the month over
>> would be not hard but non-trivial. Then there are all the weird, fancy
>> leap seconds and spring forwards and fall backwards, etc., that are
>> possibly not very important but would be missing. I was trying to
>> avoid having to figure out (and potentially screwing up) those sorts
>> of considerations when I went with the library functions.
> Yeah, I want to totally skip the spring forward fall backward, leap
> second kind of thing.

If it's all UTC then there's no daylight savings issue.  Plus given
the rate at which we simulate, we'd have to have a very poorly chosen
starting time & date to simulate across a leap second (from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_second:
"Leap seconds occur only at the end of a UTC month, and have only ever
been inserted at the end of June 30 or December 31.").

So if our canonical fake wall-clock time is Jan 1 (which I think it
is), we'd have to simulate 6 months to hit a leap second...

Basically I don't see a problem with using the library functions.

Steve