From: m5-dev-boun...@m5sim.org [mailto:m5-dev-boun...@m5sim.org] On
Behalf Of nathan binkert
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:02 PM
To: M5 Developer List
Subject: Re: [m5-dev] Possible Bug in MC146818

> The logic there isn't really needed, but you'll need to either assign
> txEvent.when() to a local variable for the SERIALIZE_SCALAR() macro to
> work right. You can use paramOut/In manually.
>
> Was there some reason that we just don't serialize the event directly?
> Event has serialize/unserialize methods. However if you have more than
> one event in an object there is probably a name issue. We kinda want a
> SERIALIZE_SUBOBJECT() method which swizzles the naming.
It's the name thing.  If you look at the EtherPacket and PacketFifo, I
do a subobject hack.  What would actually be a lot better would be to
have a SerializationContext object and pass that in instead of just
the raw stream.  Then we could provide some virtual functions in
there.

I hate to say it, but having hierarchy a la XML would be another way
to make life better.  There's no way to serialize a sub object without
prefixing its variable names with something.  If there were a way to
nest, it would work better.

Actually, come to think of it, life would be way better if we just
used a dict of dicts and then wrote it out instead of just directly
writing to the stream.

Some of these things would actually be pretty easy to do.

  Nate