A little research shows that as of scons 0.98 the variant_dir variable is available, older than 0.98.1 which we require. It looks like as of 2.0.1 they started complaining if you use build_dir. I'll put together a patch to move us over in the next day or two. I expect it to be very simple, but given its potential impact I'll still put it on review board to give people one last chance to object.

All my info about versions comes from this:
http://www.scons.org/CHANGES-2.x.txt

And my info about our required version comes from this:
http://m5sim.org/wiki/index.php/Compiling_M5

Gabe

Quoting Gabe Black <gbl...@eecs.umich.edu>:

 I went to build ALPHA_FS just now, and I must have upgraded scons as
part of my most recent system update because now I get a bunch of the
following warnings.

scons: warning: The build_dir keyword has been deprecated; use the
variant_dir keyword instead.
File "/home/gblack/m5/repos/m5/build/ALPHA_FS/SConscript", line 251, in
<module>

Things still seem to work, but do we want to change build_dir to
variant_dir to clean that up? Will that break compatibility with an old
version we still want to work?

Gabe