> Just ran across this... maybe something similar would work for us in terms
> of handling binaries for regressions.
>
> http://wiki.netbeans.org/ExternalBinaries

This would take a bit of work, but I think that something like this is
a great idea.  I'm not sure I like the encode/decode hooks that they
have since then it forces the fetch/upload of the binary file without
user interaction.  What would be better (IMHO) is if we could keep the
special files in the repo as they have described, and then have some
sort of extpull command which would use rsync to update the cache,
extupdate to copy/link that file to the proper place, extcommit to
generate new hashes, update the metadata files (to prepare for commit)
and (or should we have an extpush) push the new files and give them
the proper hashed name on the server.  We'd probably want extclean to
clean up the cache as well.  It would be nice to do the pull via our
hg user, so we'd need some sort of server side plugin as well
(basically so mercurial-server can run an rsync server side process).

In fact, I think this whole idea is excellent. Anyone have time to get
it working for us?

  Nate