SALP is not available in either of them. You will have to implement it
yourself. I have experimented with both of them. I think Dramsim2 is more
suitable for your work. Although Dramsim2 is slower than gem5 built in
controller. You can just start with looking at the code of both of them and
then decide.. if you know the basics, it will take you may be one or 2
weeks to understand each of them.