m5_roi_begin are to be defined and placed inside the program that you
are benchmarking, not in gem5 itself (although it would be a good idea
to put those stubs as a header file in gem5 if not already done?).

There is an example of that at:

This implements PARSEC's, checkpoint stubs, which are already
implemented in PARSEC benchmark code.