In summary:

- run your benchmark from the init executable
- to run a single benchmark with different parameters without
rebooting, do in your init script: "m5 checkpoint; m5 readfile | sh".
This is what the "configs/boot/hack_back_ckpt.rcS" but I think that
script is overly complicated.
- to modify the executable without having to reboot, attach a second
disk image:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50862906/how-to-attach-multiple-disk-images-in-a-simulation-with-gem5-fs-py
- to only count only benchmark instructions, do "m5 resetstats &&
./run-benchmark && m5 dumpstats". If that is not precise enough,
modify the source of your benchmark with m5ops instructions that do
resetstats and dumpstats

Here's a fully automated Buildroot setup that helps with most of that:
https://github.com/cirosantilli/linux-kernel-module-cheat/tree/d1f16390d0cd53a337e0014ce627803b1d6282de#gem5-run-benchmark