Hi Anirudh,

This question has been asked several times before.  I recommend you take a
look, e.g., here:
https://www.mail-archive.com/gem5-users@gem5.org/msg15909.html and see if
those suggestions resolve your problems.  Usually this error means you
either have an OS that is not supported or you haven't set up the ROCm
stack correctly.  In the past, I saw this error when running on Ubuntu
14/16, but I thought the updated commits on the AMD staging branch had
resolved this.  So, perhaps it's a problem with how you set up ROCm then
(or you are using a very old commit).

A secondary problem is that the current GPU model does not fully support
OpenCL, it only supports HIP: http://old.gem5.org/GPU_Models.html (it
appears that the new website does appear to have that page; Jason have you
already filed a JIRA ticket about this?).  Note that the linked webpage
does need to be updated to explain how to hipify applications.  The slides
from the tutorial on that webpage have some instructions about how to
hipify that represent a good place to start (e.g., slide 76).

In the meantime, we have created a Docker that sets up everything you need
to run the GPU model: https://github.com/KyleRoarty/gem5_docker/.  We are
also in the process of merging this into gem5:
https://gem5-review.googlesource.com/c/amd/gem5/+/26544.  I suggest you use
one of these as your starting point, as based on the error it's probably an
issue with how you set up ROCm (as mentioned above).

In terms of running backprop, the simplest thing to do would be to take the
CUDA version of backprop (e.g., from Rodinia), run hipify on it, remove the
dGPU copies, compile it with hipcc, and try running that.  You can see an
example of how Kyle did the last two steps for square (similar to you
vector addition) here:
https://github.com/KyleRoarty/gem5_docker/blob/master/tests/run_tests.sh

Thanks,
Matt