There is the m5_rpns() pseudo instruction that returns the current time in
nanoseconds. That is it returns:

return curTick() / SimClock::Int::ns;

That value is simply 10^3 (unless you've changed the ticks per second it
for some reason)
So you simply need to multiply the result of rpns() by 10^3

For convenience I've made a new pseudo instruction that returns the ticks
value directly. (You could just comment out that division in rpns() as well
if you don't care to implement your own pseudo instruction.

So I guess for your purposes, record the ticks at the beginning and end of
your function.

Best,

Dan