Hey Shehab,

I've been working with gem5 on my group's research cluster for a while now.
1) Gem5 isn't very memory hungry in my experience, sometimes long
simulations (I'm talking 3 weeks+) will  start bloating to GB of RAM but
its usually not paging so it doesn't slow things down (depends on the
program you are running)
I exclusively use Syscall Emulation mode, so that may not apply in Full
System.

*It is however single-threaded. So if your entire group is running many
experiments at the same time make sure you have a ton of cores.*

2) As for job management, I created my own system for
configuring/running/parsing etc.that I've built with python.

gem5 as of recently has been shipped with dockerfiles. I use the gcn3
dockerfile for instance. I'd recommend using them.
Again I use a custom solution here, but I'm pretty sure container job
management is a solved problem. I think one of them is "kubernets" (see
https://kubernetes.io/)
I don't have experience with anything like that, but I'm sure that would be
useful.

Also, if you plan on editing gem5 and your sourcecode is going to be
located on the cluster, I'd recommend using code-server (
https://github.com/cdr/code-server)
It broadcasts an instance of vscode to a web page that you can access from
anywhere. I used to use gvim and bash scripts and it was hell. Code server
was a life-saver.

If you (or anyone else) already have a solution for editing code on the
cluster I would be interested in what it is.

Good luck!

Dan Gerzhoy
PhD Candidate, Computer Engineering
University of Maryland College Park