Hi Sujay,

I'm not sure about the problem with the gem5 config.

You might want to take a look at gem5 resources
(https://gem5.googlesource.com/public/gem5-resources/).

The gem5 resources repo has the resources (including gem5 configs) for
running a workload in FS mode by booting with KVM and switching cpus. For
example, the NPB resource (
https://gem5.googlesource.com/public/gem5-resources/+/refs/heads/stable/src/npb)
has the configs that boots Ubuntu with KVM and then switches to another cpu
type to run the workload. The case where switching from 8-core KVM to
8-core TimingSimpleCPU is tested with gem5 20.1 and the switching was
successful.

Regards,
Hoa Nguyen