Just an update for the sake of completeness.
I commented out the assertion and rebuilt gem5, just to advance the simulation
to the point where I thought the code was getting stuck.

I'm getting a lot of "queued_spin_lock_slowpath" instructions and the output is
never updated. So it was not a problem with MMX instructions (although the
assertion would still fail), but rather, apparently, a problem with using the
classic memory system in a multithreaded program with synchronization variables.

Solutions seem to be to change from the classic memory model to the ruby models
which will grant coherence (as suggested here
https://lists.gem5.org/archives/list/gem5-users@gem5.org/message/PLYQCOEVIPETO24CWUC3OA43KRD4ZK6P/).
 Anyway, I thought there was coherence in the classic memory already
(https://www.gem5.org/documentation/general_docs/memory_system/classic-coherence-protocol/),
 even though not very realistic...