Hi Sindhuja,

Yes, there is an expectation that valgrind causes a slowdown. Let me give
you a couple of suggestions.

1. Make sure you compile without tcmalloc (e.g., scons
build/<something>/gem5.opt --without-tcmalloc). Using tcmalloc will make
valgrind miss all allocations.
2. Use the suppressions file in util/valgrind-suppressions. This will hide
most of the python "errors". It was recently updated to suppress many more
errors that aren't really errors.

That said, I've had some recent problems myself with valgrind and the new
suppressions file being *very* slow. I think this is something we need to
look into. If you have any ideas on how to improve the performance, we
would appreciate hearing them! Otherwise, I guess we'll all just have to
keep waiting overnight ;)

Cheers,
Jason