The issue in Jira is a known issue where the cxx config mechanism works in
a fundamentally not quite correct way, and while it usually works out, it
doesn't for the systemc stuff. You can use the cxx config mechanism or the
(built in) systemc, but not both.

Given that these instructions build gem5 as a whole into a systemc
simulation which will have its own systemc kernel already, you really
wouldn't want to have another competing systemc kernel inside gem5 also, so
it's not really a limitation to have to choose between cxx config and
systemc, since in this case you need the cxx config and would definitely
want to disable the built in systemc support.

What I built (and what is exercised regularly at Google) is to run systemc
models inside of gem5 using its own built in systemc kernel, which is
distinct and separate from this other method. As far as I know there are no
tests for the gem5-as-a-black-box-inside-systemc setup, so it's not *that*
surprising that it's bitrot a bit. I haven't looked at what's going wrong,
but there's a good chance it will be fairly easy to fix.

Gabe