Good question, Felix!

The short answer is that since there are instructions that take multiple
cycles to execute you need something like a scoreboard to track the
dependencies.

In the H&P book, you can see some details of this in Appendix C.5 (6th
edition). If you happen to have the Patterson and Hennessy Computer
Organization and Design book, Section 4.11 (2nd ed. of RISC-V version,
titled "Real Stuff: The ARM Cortex-A53...") shows a pipeline very similar
to the minor CPU.

Cheers,
Jason