Hi,

I feel compiling gem5 is taking longer than what it should take for me. I
was wondering if anyone can measure and report for this scenario:

[a routine scenario happens when we debug]:
Compile gem5. Then touch one cc file, and then recompile with the command
below:

time scons build/X86/gem5.opt -j4

output:
 [     CXX] X86/mem/cache/cache.cc -> .o
 [VER TAGS]  -> X86/sim/tags.cc
 [     CXX] X86/sim/tags.cc -> .o
 [     CXX] X86/base/date.cc -> .o
 [    LINK]  -> X86/gem5.opt
scons: done building targets.
*** Summary of Warnings ***
Warning: Header file <png.h> not found.
         This host has no libpng library.
         Disabling support for PNG framebuffers.
Warning: Couldn't find HDF5 C++ libraries. Disabling HDF5 support.
Warning: While checking protoc version: [Errno 2] No such file or
directory: 'protoc'
Warning: Protocol buffer compiler (protoc) not found.
         Please install protobuf-compiler for tracing support.

real    1m31.096s
user    1m30.241s
sys     0m5.723s

Machine:
lscpu
Model name:                      Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6242 CPU @ 2.80GHz
Stepping:                        7
CPU MHz:                         1200.057
CPU max MHz:                     3900.0000
CPU min MHz:                     1200.0000
BogoMIPS:                        5600.00
Virtualization:                  VT-x
L1d cache:                       1 MiB
L1i cache:                       1 MiB
L2 cache:                        32 MiB