On 3/22/2023 11:11 AM, Priyanka Ankolekar wrote:
Sorry, I should have clarified. I am using the RISCV ISA in gem5.

(As you could have done,) I checked the gem5 sources,
and it *does* model that register, returning totalInsts
as gem5 calculates that.  Presumably that is the same as
statistics will give you, but you could read it on the
fly.  Not sure if the instruction to read that is
privileged, though if it is, you could (as a hack)
change gem5 to allow it to be read in user mode.

Cheers - EM

PS: You did not respond to the other part of that I
said: What is it that you are really trying to do that
the previous suggestions do not satisfy?  Cheers - EM