From: Derek Christ via gem5-users <gem5-users@gem5.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2023 3:22 PM
To: gem5-users@gem5.org
Cc: Derek Christ <christ.de...@gmail.com>
Subject: [gem5-users] Python 3.11 on stable release

Hello,

currently I have trouble building the most recent stable release of gem5 on
Arch Linux since they switched from Python 3.10 to Python 3.11.

When simply building gem5, it errors out at the configuration stage of scons:

Checking Python version... no
Error: Can't find a working Python installation

I figured by simply upgrading the pybind11 dependency in the ext/ directory
manually fixes this error.

However, now the configuration fails at a later point in time:

Checking for pkg-config package grpc++... (cached) yes
ERROR:fm_proj_ply:/home/derek/Git/gem5/build/X86/arch/arm/fastmodel/SConscript:220:
 Invalid regular expression for rule 't_STRLIT'. global flag
s not at the start of the expression at position 13
SyntaxError: Can't build lexer

I did not found a way to fix this yet.

Also, creating a virtual environment with Python 3.10 did not work for me:
The first error is fixed even with the old pybind version, but the second error
still occurs.

Is there an easy fix for this?

Thanks!

Best