Hi Varun,

for what it's worth, we've been using the Intel e1000/igb NIC in gem5 with
regular Linux for a while without problems, I would start there unless you
really want the other NIC.

We have some working (albeit complicated) full system dist gem5 (for a slightly
dated gem5 version) scripts with them here:
https://github.com/simbricks/gem5/blob/main/configs/simbricks/dist.py
https://github.com/simbricks/gem5/blob/main/util/dist/test/run_x86.sh

In general the new gem5-library style configurations for x86 full system config
seem to be much easier to understand and use, e.g. here:
https://github.com/gem5/gem5/blob/stable/configs/example/gem5_library/x86-ubuntu-run.py
Just creating multiple systems and adding the PCI NICs should be straight
forward.

Finally, if you plan to do larger simulations with many hosts etc. you might
want to have a look at SimBricks https://simbricks.github.io/ which also
includes some newer NICs that you can plug into gem5.

Hope this helps,
Antoine

On Tue, May 16 18:12, Varun Chandrashekhar Gohil via gem5-users wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The NIC module provided in gem5 works for the ARM architecture. However, I
> want to use it to simulate a cluster of multiple x86 machines.
> This email thread
> (https://www.mail-archive.com/gem5-users@gem5.org/msg12680.html) explains how
> to port the NIC module to x86. It requires using a specific configuration
> file  linux-2.6.28.4 configuration file (from this link:
> http://www.m5sim.org/dist/current/x86/config-x86.tar.bz2)
>
> This link is invalid now and I could not find it in the gem5 resources. Could
> someone please point me to the current link?
>
> Thank you,
> Varun

Antoine Kaufmann
<antoi...@mpi-sws.org>