I've limited exposure to gem5 functioning with respect to communication in the
NoC (NetworkUnit/InputUnit/Routers) at packet level.

My primary objective is to investigate the ramifications of employing an
alternate number representation system (POSIT) in contrast to the IEEE 754
floating-point standard. Specifically, while simulating I need to analyse the
reduced bit width impact in terms of storage in memory and usage of the system
bus between the memory unit and the nodes, and if possible study the impact of
an alternate MAC unit which operates for different bit widths with lower power
and area requirements.

Could anyone kindly provide some starting point or insights on customizing such
simulations within gem5? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in
advance for your assistance. Regards,

Vani