more...

Ben Campbell wrote:
more pruning...

On Oct 10, 2008, at 3:25 PM, Paul Kyzivat wrote:

On Oct 10, 2008, at 3:57 AM, Miki HASEBE wrote:

[...]
This version backs away from "recommending" the "hints" I reference in
item 2 above, and now correctly references the essential correction
draft in item 1. It seems to me that this version steps further back
from recommending specific practices than the previous version--thus I
still wonder why it is a BCP rather than an informational.

I've kept the draft's intended track as it is and related text unchanged, because it's still undecided whether it is going to be BCP or Informational.
I'll follow AD's judgment.
Okay, that is reasonable. While the ADs certainly have the final say in the matter, I would suggest that if the purpose is to describe race conditions that can occur, this would be an informational. On the other hand, if the purpose is to suggest that implementors take specific actions to avoid or mitigate the conditions, then it might be a BCP.

I can still go either way on this, but would like to get it nailed down, because it influences the language we need to use.

I think I lean toward BCP so that we *can* make real recommendations between legal alternatives. Even then there are those "hints" where IMO there is disagreement over what is best. So in those cases there may continue to be just discussion, without recommendation.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the idea of this being a BCP. My issue was that it didn't seem like it made many real recommendations, with the possible exception of BYE glare conditions scenario. Given that the majority of this is descriptive text, if it does stay a BCP then it would be good to explicitly distinguish concrete recommendations between said legal alternatives.

Good point. I think the exercise is to go through and tag (with some sort of language) each roughly normative statement as either a recommended best practice or a reiteration/inference from a spec.

If there are a meaningful number of best practices then its good for it to be a BCP.

For example, would you characterize the tweaks to the state machine as recommendation or description?

Well, I think some of the added detail reflects description of unclear but unambiguous inferences, and so is just description. But perhaps some of it reflects choices among legal alternatives and so is recommendation. But it may require some tweaking to make that clear.

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email protected]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

Reply via email to