[email protected] wrote:
Alexey,
Hi David,
- The recommendation to support MIME header upconversion for
"Other widely deployed MIME charsets" strikes me as
too vague to be useful guidance to implementers.
...
I believe John Klensin has adequately responded to this point.
John has thoroughly demolished the change I suggested, but I
don't think that demolition resolves this concern, as the original
text remains vague.
OTOH, this draft is intended to be an Experimental RFC - would
it be reasonable to say that determining which charsets should
be upconverted is part of the experiment?
I am quite skeptical that we can come to a consensus after running such
experiment. The answer to the question is going to be very
region/country specific.
This is not the first time we are discussing the rathole (the same
applies to MIME, IMAP SEARCH, IMAP CONVERT extension) and this looks
like a big rathole to me.
I think you mentioned earlier that maybe an implementation should
support conversion to UTF-8 of all charsets it already supports in
SEARCH. After thinking more about this I think this proposal is quite
sensible.
Alternatively, the sentence saying:
Other widely deployed MIME charsets SHOULD be supported
should just be removed, as I tend to agree that it doesn't provide much
useful information.
_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email protected]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art