Hi Kevin,

For the record, based on your comments I now consider the SSRC text to be a 
minor issue rather than a major one. 

Comments inline (again, deleting parts that seem closed)

On Sep 18, 2014, at 10:30 AM, Igoe, Kevin M. <[email protected]> wrote:

[...]

>  
> Does the "source" in each source mean the synchronization source?
>  
> These terms get a little slippery, bit what I mean is the gear responsible
> for encrypting outgoing data. Let’s call this the originating box.
>  
> I'm not entirely sure I follow you, but I read this to mean you avoid the 
> need for central management of SSRCs by not sharing keys between more than 
> one originator? (that is Assuming so (and my next comment will make no sense 
> otherwise): Wouldn't it make more sense to discourage shared keys, since such 
> sharing would create a need for central ssrc management, rather than suggest 
> ssrc management in the first place?
>  
> Yes, but sadly key management is out-of-scope for srtp.  Also a stronger verb 
> that
> than “discourage” is needed, more like “prohibit”.

I don't think the fact that key management is out-of-scope for srtp in general 
prevents you from offering guidance security critical parts.


>  
> Or do you expect communities to actually implement central ssrc management?
>  
> If there is a small network of devices sharing the same key, say a video 
> conference with
> a handful of participants. One could envision giving each box entering the 
> conference
> a unique SSRC prefix it uses for any SSRCs it needs to create, once again 
> localizing the
> SSRC management (save for the task of handing out SSRC prefixes).
>  
> The bottom line is that there are several ways to mitigate the need for 
> centralized
> SSRC magament.  I agree with you that the key management based approach is 
> far and
> away the cleanest approach.
>  
> My sole concern is not reusing an (SRTP, key) pair.  Any robust mechanism 
> (i.e.
> not probabilistic) that achieves this goal is acceptable.

I guess my problem is that I took the text as written to suggest that 
centralized ssrc management was expected to be the "normal" case. I think it 
would be perfectly reasonable to say something to the effect of "... MUST not 
share keys unless a secure mechanism is used to guarantee that SSRC values 
never collide." I realize that is logically similar to "MUST have [ssrc 
coordination] in order to share keys", but the spin is a bit different.

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email protected]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

Reply via email to