I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on Gen-ART,
please see the FAQ at <http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>
Document: draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-sec-09
Reviewer: Christer Holmberg
Review Date: 19 October 2014
IETF LC End Date: 24 October 2014
IETF Telechat Date: 30 October 2014
Summary: I have found a number of issues. They are of
editorial nature, but makes it difficult to understand the mechanism. I ask the
authors to look at those, and consider if/how they can be addressed.
Major Issues: None
Minor Issues: None
Q1_GENERAL:
In the Introduction, you say that one of the goal of RDAP is to provide
security services, that do not exist in WHOIS.
However, in section 3 you then say that RDAP doesn't provide any of these
security services, but relies on other protocols.
First, I think you need to re-formulate the text in the Introduction, and talk
about how other protocols can be used to provide security services for RDAP.
Second, there is no text on why "other protocols" couldn't be used to provide
security services for WHOIS. I think you need to
say that, if you want to claim that RDAP provides better security than WHOIS.
Q2_GENERAL:
In some places you say that additional/alternative mechanisms may
be defined in the future. I think it would be good to in
the Introduction indicate that additional/alternative mechanisms can be added
in the future.
Q3_GENERAL:
You start some subsections by describing what WHOIS does/doesn't
do. I think you should first describe of
the specific security service is provided for RDAP, and then later describe
e.g. why the same cannot be provided
for WHOIS
Q4_3_1_1:
Section 3.1.1. says: "Federated authentication mechanisms used by
RDAP are OPTIONAL."
That statement is confusing. Does it mean that everything else in
the document is mandatory to support?
Q5_3_3:
The name of section 3.3 is "Availability". I don't see how that
is a security service, and the text mostly talks about
throttling. Would it be more appropriate to say "Request throttling" instead?
Q6_3_4:
Section 3.4 says:
"Web services such as RDAP commonly use HTTP Over TLS [RFC2818]
to provide that protection by encrypting all
traffic sent on the connection between client and server."
To me that sounds like something from a BCP document. I think you
should say that the document defines
the usage of HTTP over TLS for providing the security service.
Editorial nits: None
Regards,
Christer
_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email protected]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art