Hi, Dan,

Thank you for this review. I'm confident both comments can be clarified
in a minor revision.

However, I did have a question about the end at "Nits/editorial
comments:" -- was there additional feedback intended there, or was this
section intended to be empty?

Thanks,

Joe

On 12/15/2014 5:31 AM, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:
> I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
> 
> Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
> 
>  
> 
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__wiki.tools.ietf.org_area_gen_trac_wiki_GenArtfaq&d=AAICAg&c=BFpWQw8bsuKpl1SgiZH64Q&r=I4dzGxR31OcNXCJfQzvlsiLQfucBXRucPvdrphpBsFA&m=sITgTP84yGaHOlBBZiB9yr8yJ3saUDz_ezXr0_7zXR0&s=ToxyMtIhluT9g1P7ZBH2FQN1ysRhib5pmy7-QEPiUBo&e=
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__wiki.tools.ietf.org_area_gen_trac_wiki_GenArtfaq&d=AAICAg&c=BFpWQw8bsuKpl1SgiZH64Q&r=I4dzGxR31OcNXCJfQzvlsiLQfucBXRucPvdrphpBsFA&m=sITgTP84yGaHOlBBZiB9yr8yJ3saUDz_ezXr0_7zXR0&s=ToxyMtIhluT9g1P7ZBH2FQN1ysRhib5pmy7-QEPiUBo&e=%20>>.
> 
>  
> 
> Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
> 
> you may receive.
> 
>  
> 
> Document: draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-use-06.txt
> 
> Reviewer: Dan Romascanu
> 
> Review Date: 12/15/14
> 
> IETF LC End Date: 12/22/14
> 
> IESG Telechat date: not yet
> 
>  
> 
> Summary: Ready with issues
> 
>  
> 
> The document is very clear and well written. I suggest that the author
> addresses the couple of issues raised here which are not show stoppers
> but their resolution can further improve the quality of the document.
> 
>  
> 
> Major issues:
> 
>  
> 
> Minor issues:
> 
>  
> 
> 1.       The abstract says:
> 
>  
> 
> Ø  This document provides recommendations to application and service
>    designers on how to use the transport protocol port number space.
> 
>  
> 
> Section 1. Introduction says:
> 
>  
> 
> Ø     This document provides information and advice to system designers on
>    the use of transport port numbers.
> 
>  
> 
> In Section 7.2 ‘system designers’ appears again:
> 
>  
> 
> Ø  … system designers cannot yet rely on their presence.
> 
> Ø   
> 
>  
> 
> I do not like ‘system designers’ because this term is vague and not
> defined. Beyond the inconsistency in terminology which is obvious in
> page 2, there is also room for confusion because ‘system’ is used with a
> completely different meaning as in ‘system port’.
> 
>  
> 
> I suspect that  in section 1 ‘system designers’ is meant to be an alias
> for the ‘application and service designers’ from the intro, while in
> section 7.2 it’s rather meant to be an alias for ‘network designers’. If
> I am right I suggest replacing in both places.
> 
>  
> 
> 2.       The privacy considerations are not mentioned at all in the
> document. It seems to me that detecting in clear the port numbers and
> mapping this information to the source/destination addresses can provide
> information about specific hosts running specific services. I believe
> that this aspect should be mentioned either in the security
> considerations section or in a separate privacy considerations section,
> and in section 5, together with the paragraphs that mentions the
> capability of intermediate devices to monitor available services,
> monitor or intercept traffic.
> 
>  
> 
>  
> 
>  
> 
> Nits/editorial comments:
> 
>  
> 
>  
> 
>  
> 
>  
> 

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email protected]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

Reply via email to