On 4/7/17, 5:30 PM, "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <[email protected]> wrote:

Les:

Hi!

> System-id duplication is a problem for any deployment - not just autoconfig 
> deployments. And it will be disruptive in any network until it is resolved.
>
> The only thing autoconfig has added is a way to resolve this w/o manual 
> intervention. This in no way increases the vulnerability nor the disruption 
> the 
> attacker can produce. (Yes - I state that quite intentionally).

I don’t know about Robert, but that is part of the discussion I would like to 
see.

Yes, duplicate system-ids have always been a potential problem, but this 
document introduces a new de-duplication mechanism that results not just in 
unsync’d databases, but in restarting adjacencies – so at least the 
manifestation of the problem is different.

> So you are asking us to repeat a discussion which has already been held in 
> the context of 
> RFC 5304 and RFC 5310.
>
> It would be more appropriate to add the normal reference to RFC 5304/5310 in 
> the 
> Security section than what you propose.

I don’t think it hurts to add a reference to those RFCs, but they are both 
about adding authentication – the problem in this document is exacerbated by 
the fact that there’s no authentication by default.

The lower layer authentication mechanisms are quite weak, specially knowing 
that, if in a home environment, for example, it may be relatively easy to 
connect to the WiFi network.

Alvaro.


_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email protected]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

Reply via email to