Russ, thanks for your review! I think the changes David proposed in response 
look good. I agree with his reasoning about there not being a need for this 
document to formally update RFC 7530. I have ballotted No Objection.

Alissa

> On May 2, 2017, at 7:48 PM, David Noveck <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Thanks for the review.
> 
> > This document, once approved, will update RFC 5661 and RFC 7862.  
> 
> Yes, because it invalidates statements regarding versioning made in
> those documents.
> 
> > It seems to me that it should also update RFC 7530.  
> 
> I don't see why.  What is in RFC7530 regarding versioning still
> remains valid once this document is approved.
> 
> > It fulfills a promise made in Section 11 of RFC 7530.
> 
> Section 11 says that a document such as this would be desirable 
> but it doesn't make any sort of promise.
> 
> I think the question is what is the proper stanard for one RFC to
> update another.  I followed my own understanding.  If that is wrong, I
> will change it.
> 
> 
> 
> > In Section 4.2, the last bullet in the section is unusual.  That
> > bullet add a new context for the entire list of bullets.  
> > It would be better
> > for the introduction to the list to provide the full context at the
> > beginning.
> 
> Actually, the last bullet in saying "these items" is not referring to 
> the items in all the bullets, but only those in the last bullet.
> 
> Still, this is confusing.  The last bullet shoud be merged into the third.
> 
> 
> > Throughout the document, some bullet items end with periods and
> > others do not.  
> > Use of the period is more common.  Please pick one style and
> > use it throughout the document.
> 
> Will do.
> 
> > The last sentence of the Introduction is not clear.  After reading it
> > several times, I think you are trying to say:
> 
> >   ... enabling interoperation to proceed just as if both
> >   implementations supported only the parts of the protocol
> >   that are being used.
> 
> I'm having trouble understanding that.  I think the problem we
> re both having is that, except for callbacks, the client doesn't
> support features it uses them.  I think we have a fundamentally
> asymmetric situation and we keep tripping over ourselves as we
> try to present it symmetrically.
> 
> How about:
> 
> As described in Section 4.4, two implementations can each choose  a subset of 
> available extensions, with the client able to use the subset of the 
> extensions that it is prepared to use that the server supports as well.  
> Support for this common subset is not affected by the fact that extensions 
> outside this common subset may be supported by the server or potentially used 
> by the client.
> 
> > In Section 2.3:
> > s/(not necessarily proper)/(not necessarily a proper subset)/
> 
> Will change.
> 
> > In Section 4.4.2, in the last set of bullets, the first bullet begins
> > with "The minor version consists", but it should begin with "When the
> > minor version consists".  The "so" following the comma should also be
> > removed.
> 
> Will fix.  Your version is better.
> 
> > In Section 6, 2nd paragraph, I found the text confusing because
> > "following" is used with two very different meanings in the same
> > sentence.  I suggest: S/to following/to obeying/
> 
> I think I prefer S/the following rules/the rules listed below/.
> 
> On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 3:04 PM, Russ Housley <[email protected] 
> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
> Reviewer: Russ Housley
> Review result: Almost Ready
> 
> I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. The General Area
> Review Team (Gen-ART) reviews all IETF documents being processed
> by the IESG for the IETF Chair. Please wait for direction from your
> document shepherd or AD before posting a new version of the draft.
> 
> For more information, please see the FAQ at
> <http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq 
> <http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>>.
> 
> Document: draft-ietf-nfsv4-versioning-09
> Reviewer: Russ Housley
> Review Date: 2017-05-02
> IETF LC End Date: 2017-03-08
> IESG Telechat date: Unknown
> 
> Summary: Almost Ready
> 
> Major Concerns:
> 
> This document, once approved, will update RFC 5661 and RFC 7862.  It
> seems to me that it should also update RFC 7530.  It fulfills a
> promise
> made in Section 11 of RFC 7530.
> 
> Minor Concerns:
> 
> In Section 4.2, the last bullet in the section is unusual.  That
> bullet
> add a new context for the entire list of bullets.  It would be better
> for the introduction to the list to provide the full context at the
> beginning.
> 
> Nits:
> 
> Throughout the document, some bullet items end with periods and
> others
> do not.  Use of the period is more common.  Please pick one style and
> use it throughout the document.
> 
> The last sentence of the Introduction is not clear.  After reading it
> several times, I think you are trying to say:
> 
>    ... enabling interoperation to proceed just as if both
>    implementations supported only the parts of the protocol
>    that are being used.
> 
> In Section 2.3:
> s/(not necessarily proper)/(not necessarily a proper subset)/
> 
> In Section 4.4.2, in the last set of bullets, the first bullet begins
> with "The minor version consists", but it should begin with "When the
> minor version consists".  The "so" following the comma should also be
> removed.
> 
> In Section 6, 2nd paragraph, I found the text confusing because
> "following" is used with two very different meanings in the same
> sentence.  I suggest: S/to following/to obeying/
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Gen-art mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email protected]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

Reply via email to