Hello, I agree with this. To read such vulgar words is for me very repulsive too and I am not prudish. In a serious scientific project like Wikipedia such terminology has no space! How could we proceed to best to change this site?
Best Juliana 2011/3/13, The Richardsons <[email protected]>: > Now here’s something. As soon as I saw it, I thought “This belongs in the > Gendergap Digest!” It is a Meta essay called “Don’t be a Dick”. I know that > many people will rally for or against it, but before we do, we have to do > four things: > > 1. Read the essay at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_be_a_dick. It > isn’t that profane. Also read the disclaimer “This is an essay. It expresses > the opinions and ideas of some wikimedians or Meta-Wiki users but may not > have wide support. This is not policy on the Meta-Wiki, but it may be policy > or guideline on other Wikimedia projects. Feel free to update this page as > needed, or use the discussion page to propose major changes.” > 2. Realize that this essay uses a vulgar, yet not excessively profane, > casual line of speech that is inherently manly. Women might not like that. > 3. Wikipedia is supposed to be a melding of knowledge and opinions. > 4. Wikipedia and its sister projects advise against personal attacks (yet > this deals with being attacked, or accused of being a dick and politely > dealing with a dick). > 5. Wikipedia and its sister projects advise against removing content for the > benefit of any group, no matter how large or powerful (the only exception is > hardcore pornography). > > Considering these four things, I believe that the best course of action is > to read a lot of essays. They are often the opinion of one or a few > editors.Reading the opinions of many people can help broaden your mind, even > if it is a little vulgar. Take it with a little salt. They didn’t say > something like “If you’re a dick, I will f***ing blank your p***y c** page > because you’re a sl***y b****y c*** who I hope gets raped by a b***h p***y > n****r every day because you’re a dick!” > > Finally, I hope that using the word “dick” in this entry has been excused. I > believe that this can be seen offensive to both men and women, but mostly > women. But, I believe that if “Don’t be a dick” inspires anyone to leave > Wikipedia or its sister projects, that person shouldn’t have even been on > Wikipedia in the first place. Wikipedia is supposed to be a melding of > opinions. As this is an essay and not an article, it is supposed to be a > place for exclusively opinion. _______________________________________________ Gendergap mailing list [email protected] https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/gendergap
