On 22/08/2011 04:58, [email protected] wrote:
> I confess, I'm not sure what IRC is and not enough info in the #address
> for me to get there easily. ;-(

IRC is a chat system, except it is a bit more difficult to install and 
register in than say your average msn or skype. But basically you type 
messages with your keyboard, and they disappear as several other people 
answer.

It was used first by professional geeks, and it has recently spread to 
clever teenagers.

Since you are new to it I might as well give you my own experience, 
warning you though that it is entirely negative.

The first time i used irc was about a software that I used, because the 
programmers on that website said "if you have questions please pay us a 
visit on irc". I found it extremely inconvenient, because :

- You did not find the right person to answer your question if that 
person appeared to be offline.

- The other way round, interesting answers given on irc quickly 
disappeared and were not published for all the other interested people 
to read.

In other words, irc was for me insanely unproductive, especially 
compared to the forum that the website already had, with messages that 
could wait online for the right reply, or stayed online for readers with 
same questions.

Also, the discussions were not categorized on irc, or had no title like 
here, so that with your question you were forced to meddle in other 
conversations going on about other topics.

I then thought that irc was a media for computer-illiterate people. You 
may ask then why was it used by programmers ? Well it was a social need 
for programmers to gather in a specific space not for noobs.

The second time I used irc was in my leisure time, in connection with a 
team for the translation of Japanese anime.

There was a lot of pleasant chat, banter, even quizz games, but it was 
very difficult to maintain a conversation about the translation of 
Japanese anime amidst all that noise.

Also, since I was already typing around 3k words a day, it proved 
impossible for me to stay on the keyboard in the evening. I had to go 
out, walk, watch movies... well in general turn away from the computer. 
Or get a life is another way of putting it.

Another element that disturbed me is the 
conversation-between-close-friends atmosphere that irc creates. Those 
people were more like hobby acquaintances, not the kind of friends who 
will visit you if you are sick, who will help you moving furniture 
between appartments, etc. Not even people you will eat with. The 
atmosphere was too friendly for people you hardly know. I was too 
old-school for that I guess.

The common point between geek users and teenager users is that irc is 
for people who :

- do not use computers intensively in their work, or do not mind using 
them intensivey again in their free time

- don't mind spending their evenings typing alone in their rooms, making 
friends with unknown people

- don't mind if their messages disappear, don't mind if some relevant 
readers will never read them

- don't mind if they miss relevant messages if they happen to be away

- don't mind sympathizing closely with people that they will never see 
or are ready to forget immediately

As a conclusion, irc is from my point of view totally incompatible with 
political discussions, which would require taking time to write to write 
articulate messages, taking time to read them, separating the topics to 
make them reasonably readable, and a social atmosphere suited for 
distant sympathizers for a cause.

My two cents, anyway who am I to criticize, since I won't use it. I have 
documents to read instead. I don't chat, I read and write.

If you don't know how to register, have someone show you, you will make 
your own opinion.

Arnaud





_______________________________________________
Gendergap mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/gendergap

Reply via email to