I started a lot of women's categories to increase visability of women and
diversity on WP.... Unfortunately many of them have been attacked and
deleted by mainly male editors. Here are just a few (some deleted):
Asian American women in sports
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Categories_for_discussion/Log/2011_August_26#Category:Asian_American_female_tennis_players

African American Women
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:African_American_women

This category was hugely attacked for a while, but many have long since
given up on their fight.

Hispanic and Latino American Women
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Hispanic_and_Latino_American_women

This category was attacked at first, but not as ferociously as the AAW
category.

Interestingly, while the Asian American women in sports category was deleted
shortly after creation, the African American women in sports category still
holds strong. Tells you something about stereotypes?

In any event, this was before I found out about the Gender Gap list.... And
I have pretty much given up on my mission to make diversity and women more
visible in the categories. I am now focusing on writing articles on the
subtopics. I encourage others to write more articles to increase visibility
of diversity on Wikipedia.

--
Maggie
_______________________________________________
Gendergap mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/gendergap

Reply via email to