All,

I just ran across a short Wikipedia article I wrote a couple years ago, and 
thought I'd share it. It's a bio of Frances Fuller Victor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_Fuller_Victor

Victor was generally known as a novelist of the 19th century American West, but 
she also ghost-wrote tremendous quantities of history for publisher Hubert Howe 
Bancroft, without attribution. She was a feminist:

"But just so long as women content themselves to be parasites, no matter how 
graceful or beautiful in their dependence, so long will they degrade the idea 
of work for their less fortunate sisters, make more thorny the path of the 
honestly struggling of their sex, reduce the wages that woman receives for her 
work, and perpetuate their own moral enslavement" ([Dorothy D.], "Poor Ladies," 
San Francisco Daily Morning Call, April 25, 1875, 1).

Another article that may be of interest is Pat Barker's bio. Sue Gardner 
started the article a while back, and several of us have chipped in along the 
way; I think it's a pretty strong bio, about a compelling woman. Barker is an 
award-winning, contemporary English novelist, whose work centers around memory, 
trauma, survival and recovery:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Barker

I thought, along with the more serious deliberations, it might be nice to 
occasionally share interesting Wikipedia content we've worked on related to 
gender. If you've worked on something that may be of interest to this list, 
please share your links too!

-Pete
_______________________________________________
Gendergap mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/gendergap

Reply via email to