On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 20:08, Fred Bauder <fredb...@fairpoint.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 19:27,  <carolmoor...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>> Lots of us old hippie women are exhibitionists and I could advertise
>>> and
>>> get a few of us to pose. Then the young guys would have to discuss
>>> whether the 19 year old or 60 year old breast/nude/buttock etc. is more
>>> appropriate for an article.
>>>
>>> Hope that also engenders a good laugh....
>>>
>>> Carol in dc
>>>
>> It's actually a serious point, though. It would be great to provide
>> images for those articles that don't portray women the way certain men
>> want to see them portrayed. I recall the Body Shop did that a couple
>> of decades ago -- started using images of women that fell outside the
>> usual range that tended to be objectified (older, not thin, etc). They
>> produced some very good ads as a result. The difficulty for us would
>> be in finding those images, then in maintaining them on the pages.
>>
>> Sarah
>
> The concept of "being objectified" needs to be explained to the community
> and incorporated into our style guides. This has to make sense rather
> than being misunderstood.
>
> Fred

It's the kind of idea that people would become hostile towards,
because accepting how extensive the objectification is is part of
feminist consciousness. I see text and images on Wikipedia that are
very clear instances of it (in my view), but over the years I've
learned to keep my mouth shut about it.

Sarah