> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 11:33:30 -0700
> From: Pete Forsyth <petefors...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Gendergap] Question for the Foundation about photographs
>       of      women
> To: Increasing female participation in Wikimedia projects
>       <gendergap@lists.wikimedia.org>
>
> Update, and a request:
>
> The discussion thread John started has been very active, with I think about
> 30 posts from a wide variety of customer service (OTRS) volunteers.

This could be a good idea, but let's not forget that women who start editing
Wikipedia first need to find out how to get help and this needs to be obvious
in the interface.

I recently supported a female colleague of mine to join and start editing
Wikipedia and I witnessed her signing up etc. and it was surprisingly hard and
confusing... Unfortunately, we ended up in this testing group for account
creation
:http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Account_Creation_Improvement_Project/Testing_content/Login_page/Frank%27s_proposal
In this testing group, the second screen is the one about topics. 'Health', the
topic that we needed, was not one of them, so we selected 'biology' instead and
a whole list of topics that need improvements was presented to us... However,
she already knew which article she wanted to create, so it was a bit like 'Ok,
how can I get out of here and draft my article?' I ended up showing her how she
can do this and also ended up putting the Template:New_user_bar manually onto
her user page, so that she's got a nicer profile page. I am sure we would
potentially have lost her without my help...

I thought I share this little experience. I think what I'll do next, is "test"
her and see how she goes in getting some help without asking me ;-)

Cheers,
Jutta