Personally, I really don't understand why people get upset about Islamic
women *choosing* to wear hijabs, or niqabs, under the pretense of feminism.
Part of what feminism fights for is the right to choose. This is the
unintended consequence.

I get the practical arguments (ie, "I don't know who this person is" etc.)
is, though, and I think any girl or women who has their wardrobe dictated by
another person is being abused, unless there's a non-abusive reason behind
it; I doubt that anyone wearing a work or school uniform would qualify as
being abused.

From,
Emily


On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 8:21 AM, Arnaud HERVE <[email protected]>wrote:

> I am not sure this is strictly on-topic, but I thought it might be
> interesting concerning female appearance issues.
>
> We are starting presidential campaigns in France now, and there is a
> candidate for the right of women to wear the niqab (full clothing except
> for the eyes)
>
> Here is an article, you probably won't understand it but you will see
> the video, which I think is telling :
>
>
> http://www.lepoint.fr/societe/2012-la-candidate-du-niqab-22-09-2011-1376118_23.php
>
> In this interview, basically she claims it is her individual right as a
> woman, to wear the niqab as she would wear a mini-skirt. Feminists on
> the contrary argue that it is not a mere piece of clothe, but a
> submission to Islamic law, which implies a loss of civic rights for women.
>
> So that's what I said earlier, there is now a contradiction between
> multiculturalism and women's rights. Both of which used to belong
> together in the side of progress, traditionally.
>
> On a more practical level, you can understand that she won't be able to
> run the full campaign, because it will not be possible to identify her.
> It could be her sister or her mom any time. Women wearing the niqab are
> already refused in many jobs, because precisely it is impossible to know
> who is the employee. In the case of a kindergarten for example it could
> even be a man impersonating his sister.
>
> But here it will make some noise, because it is her intention to get
> banned for the presidential campaign, and it is precisely that sort of
> publicity she is looking for.
>
> Arnaud
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Gendergap mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/gendergap
>
_______________________________________________
Gendergap mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/gendergap

Reply via email to