See below!

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Lessons learned that we could learn from, and outreach help request (pls fwd to gendergap)
Date:   Wed, 29 Feb 2012 19:43:12 -0500
From:   Sumana Harihareswara <suma...@wikimedia.org>
To:     Sarah Stierch <sarah.stie...@gmail.com>

Sarah, could you forward this to the gendergap list?  Thanks.

I am interested in improving the quality of our outreach events,
especially those focused on women.  I thought you might therefore find
it useful to see these lessons learned from another outreach/training
project:

https://openhatch.org/blog/2011/lessons-learned-from-the-boston-python-workshop-an-outreach-event-for-women/

I found these lessons helpful in guiding me as I worked on training
materials and structure for Wikimedia's technical events.

Also, I would love some help reaching out to technical women to tell
them about participating in Google Summer of Code, which is a pipeline
for our open source community.  I want the tools we build to serve all
our audiences, so I want the population that makes those tools to
reflect the users we want to reach.  Thus I have created this list

http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_academic_organizations_interested_in_women_in_CS

and would love help in contacting more of those organizations.  There's
a template below that you could send and refine.  If you reach out to
one of the schools or groups on that list, could you edit the
"Contacted?" column to mention your name and the date you did so?  Thanks.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator

Hi!  I'm writing to help you and your grad and undergrad students
prepare for Google Summer of Code.

Google Summer of Code is a global program that offers students stipends
to write code for open source projects. Participants work remotely from
home, while getting guidance from an assigned mentor and collaborating
within their project’s community. The application deadline for Google
Summer of Code this year is April 6 and the program dates are May 21 to
August 20. The stipend for the program is $5,000 (USD).

http://code.google.com/soc

Open source software development is a rewarding and educational way for
students to learn real-world software engineering skills, build
portfolios, and network with industry and academe.  Women especially
find GSoC a great entry point because they can work from anywhere
(including home) with flexible hours, they get guaranteed personal
mentorship, and the stipend lets them focus on their project for three
solid months.

The organizations that will participate in Google Summer of Code this
year will be announced on March 16, but the best way for a student to
prepare to apply is to become a contributor of the project that
interests her early on. There are people in many organizations who are
happy to help newcomers fix their first bug. Here is a list of some
organizations where you can find mentors who will help your students
along the way:

http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/Mentors

Please consider encouraging students of all genders to apply.  You can
help spread the word by forwarding this e-mail to university Computer
Science departments and student groups.  Sumana Harihareswara of the
Wikimedia Foundation (suma...@wikimedia.org) will personally help guide
students who are interested in working with MediaWiki, the open source
project that powers Wikipedia.  And if you'd like to get a speaker to
speak about GSoC to your school, she'll help!

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Summer_of_Code_2012

Thank you.