http://www.marketplace.org/topics/tech/inside-sexual-harassment-online-gaming

I just caught this on the podcast. They mentioned "trolls" (that some people
say to just ignore them) but no mentions of Wikipedia.

-Jeremy

This coincides nicely with this highly-discussed article on the same subject
from yesterday’s New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/02/us/sexual-harassment-in-online-gaming-stirs-anger.html?src=me&ref=general

Likewise, no mention of Wikipedia, but there are some interesting parallels.
For one thing, there is a guy at Microsoft with a thankless job—or I would call
it thankless if I weren’t already a Wikipedia administrator and thus able to
empathize:

  Stephen Toulouse, who was the head of enforcement for Xbox Live from 2007
until February, policed the most egregious behavior on the network, owned by
Microsoft. And women were the most frequent target of harassment, he said. In
that role, Mr. Toulouse experienced the wrath of angry gamers firsthand, who
figured out where he lived, then called the police with false reports about
trouble at his house (more than once, SWAT teams were sent).

  If players were reported for bad behavior, they could be disciplined by being
muted on voice chat or barred temporarily. At least once a day, Mr. Toulouse
said, the company blocked a specific console’s serial number from ever
accessing the network again.

  But policing the two or three million players who are active on Xbox Live at
any given time is hard. Just as on the broader Internet, there are people who
delight in piquing anger or frustration in others, or “trolling.” For trolls,
offensive language — sexist, racist, homophobic comments — are interchangeable
weapons that vary with the target.

Mr. Toulouse, anytime you want to come over to Wikipedia, your mop is ready.

Daniel Case