Funny, I had no clue a "forced migration" was taking place - just shows you
how much happens in the one Wikipedia without others knowing (who are
highly active).

I'm glad to see the artists categories are still ok. We have American women
artists, but, I believe they are also listed in American artists (or their
respective type of art). I wonder what other categories have this issue?

-Sarah

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 7:52 AM, Leslie Carr <lc...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Salon has also picked this up -
>
> http://www.salon.com/2013/04/25/wikipedia_moves_women_to_american_women_novelists_category_leaves_men_in_american_novelists/
>
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 4:13 AM, María Sefidari <kewlshr...@yahoo.es>
> wrote:
> > The New York Times also has an article about this:
> >

> http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/opinion/sunday/wikipedias-sexism-toward-female-novelists.html
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > María
> >
> > Enviado desde mi dispositivo móvil
> >
> > El 25/04/2013, a las 01:21, Sarah Stierch <sarah.stie...@gmail.com>
> > escribió:
> >

> > From The Huffington Post
> >

> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/24/women-novelists-wikipedia-female-authors-american_n_3149345.html
> >
> > Attention female authors: you may be being segregated from your male
> peers
> > on Wikipedia. On the online encyclopedia's "American Novelists" page,
> women
> > authors are hard to find. Instead they have been filed primarily under
> > "American Women Novelists."
> >
> > Vanity Fair contributing editor Elissa Schappell made this observation
> and
> > posted on Facebook Wednesday:
> >
> > Women Writers take heed, you are being erased on Wikipedia. It would
> appear
> > that in order to make room for male writers, women novelists (such as Amy
> > Tan, Harper Lee, Donna Tartt and 300 others) have been moved off the
> > "American Novelists" page and into the "American Women Novelists"
> category.
> > Not the back of the bus, or the kiddie table exactly--except of
> course--when
> > you google "American Novelists" the list that appears is almost
> exclusively
> > men (3,387 men). The explanation on the pages is that the list of
> American
> > Novelists is too long, therefore sub-categories are necessary.
> > Idea: What about, "American Novelists with Penises" "American Novelists
> Who
> > Are Vastly Over-Rated and Over-Paid" or "American Novelists Who Aren't
> Being
> > Read But Should Be" (Here you'd find a lot of women, people of color...)
> >
> > Want to see where you're sitting for eternity? Take a peek.
> >
> > A disclaimer at the top of the American Novelists page reads, "This
> category
> > may require frequent maintenance to avoid becoming too large. It should
> > directly contain very few, if any, articles and should mainly contain
> > subcategories." Schappell suggests that Wikipedia dealt with this space
> > issue by moving the female authors off the page.
> >
> > The Huffington Post reached out to Wikipedia for a response to
> Schappell's
> > claims but so far has not heard back.
> >
> > This is far from the first time that someone has expressed ire over the
> [...]

*Sarah Stierch*
*Museumist, open culture advocate, and Wikimedian*
*www.sarahstierch.com*