Although I was ranting earlier today about the "attaboy culture" of
meaningless little rewards and certificates that corporations substitute
for any substantive kind of reward, like pay or better treatment, I concur
with your message. If it's a good edit, we need to cultivate that kind of
thing by letting the editor (especially a total stranger) know how much it
is appreciated.

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 5:50 PM, Kerry Raymond <kerry.raym...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> We talk a lot of about the culture of Wikipedia being negative, critical,
> abrasive etc; this is a turn-off to a lot of women (and also to a lot of
> men). But what can we do to change that? Well, I thought about the way that
> postings get Liked on Facebook. Indeed, most postings get many Likes on
> Facebook. It seems if you read something and appreciate the post in any way
> (which includes when you agree with the poster that it is unhappy matter
> and
> hence unlikeable matter), you click Like.
>
> Well, I decided to try it on Wikipedia. Now, when I run through my
> watchlist
> (which I do most mornings), instead of just looking for what's wrong and
> needs to be fixed, instead if I see a positive contribution to an article,
> even a small one, I "thank" the contributor for the edit.
>
> And if I notice I am thanking someone quite a bit, I send them some
> Wikilove
> or a Barnstar. I notice a small increase in the number of thanks I am
> receiving. While I realise this may be simple reciprocation, I'd like to
> think I might be creating a small culture of appreciation in my topic
> space,
> hoping that people choose to Pay It Forward.
>
> So, that's my suggestion. Try thanking people on-wiki in the various ways
> available.  Become part of the niceness culture that we'd like Wikipedia to
> become known for.
>
> Kerry

Michael J. "Orange Mike" Lowrey

"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and
clothes."
     --  Desiderius Erasmus