On Mon, 23 May 2016, Sam Ruby wrote:

Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 03:00:51 +0200
From: Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
To: general@attic.apache.org
Cc: d...@whimsical.apache.org
Subject: Re: Rethinking TLP creation/migration
Sender: sa3r...@gmail.com

As I am working my way through this code, it occurs to me that much of
what I am finding could apply to termination of projects.  For
example, if the secretary adds the PMC to LDAP for 'Establish'
resolutions at the end of the board meeting it might make equal sense
for the secretary to remove the PMC (and committers) for 'Terminate'
resolutions.

Thoughts?

  My thoughts ; looking at the ASF bylaws ...

  -- the ASF has many PMCs
  -- each PMC has 0, 1 or more projects ;
     PMC Attic is like PMC Incubator ; both have many projects
  -- graduation :
     -- a new PMC is established ;
     -- the projects moves from PMC Incubator to the new PMC
  -- project retirement :
     -- the project moves to PMC Attic
  -- PMC retirement :
     -- the PMC's projects are retired (moved to PMC Attic)
     -- the PMC is terminated

  IMHO, PMCs and projects must be treated as distict entities ;
  where each project has a parent (PMC) pointer.

  The board (secretary) can
  -- create and terminate PMCs
  -- create projects and move projects between PMCs

- Sam Ruby

  Regards,

  Henk Penning