A project is not just code. In addition to the community (duh), there are web
pages, mail lists, reporting requirements, issue management, build/release
tooling, and various infra bits that need to be maintained.

I agree with Jan that if POI is the only project that (currently) uses
Xmlbeans, it will be far easier to "simply" import whatever is relevant from
the project directly into POI. And if it makes life easier, you can even
repackage (rename) the build artifacts.

Craig

> On Mar 2, 2018, at 6:17 AM, Jan Iversen <j...@apache.org> wrote:
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On 2 Mar 2018, at 14:59, PJ Fanning <fannin...@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>>
>> Apache POI is used by Apache Tika and Apache SOLR.
>> The XmlBeans build is pretty complicated and outdated and changing its
>> package names is going to be fairly hard (in short, XmlBeans is used to
>> autogenerate some of the code shipped in XmlBeans).
> The question was not who uses POI, but who would also (if any) use XmlBeans.
>
> The beauty of my proposal is that you do not need to change naming or other
> stuff. You simply put it in your codebase in a separate directory. The reason
> is that you do not release XmlBeans, you release POI containing (not using,
> as you have been doing) XmlBeans.
>
> In case you want to restart the project, you need to change name as well as
> go through the process of asking to be a TLP.
>
> rgds
> jan i
>

>>   On Monday 26 February 2018, 20:07:49 GMT, PJ Fanning <fannin...@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> There is general interest in the Apache POI PMC and general Contributor
>> community in forming a new PMC for Apache XMLBeans. POI has a dependency on
>> XMLBeans and there are some fixes that we would like to apply to
>> XMLBeans.Some of the discussion appears in these threads.
>> http://apache-poi.1045710.n5.nabble.com/publishing-poi-xmlbeans-jars-td5730234.html
>> http://apache-poi.1045710.n5.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Getting-a-fixed-version-of-XMLBeans-td5729378.htmlhttp://apache-poi.1045710.n5.nabble.com/XMLBeans-in-4-0-0-release-td5729862.html
>>

>> If we can get 3 or more people to form a new XMLBeans PMC, would it be
>> feasible to reopen the XMLBeans svn for new commits?
>> Regards,PJ

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
c...@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo