On 13 April 2018 at 11:22, Jan Iversen <jancasacon...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 13 Apr 2018, at 12:17, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 13 April 2018 at 11:08,  <j...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> Sorry for the noise on this list, I am trying to simplify the website,
>>> meaning getting rid of the ant generation.
>>
>> What's wrong with Ant ?
>> Or do you mean Velocity (Anakia, Texen)?
> I mean the whole generation part.

And what is wrong with it?

>>> The idea is to:
>>> - have a sidebar file that is included in all files (with projects etc).
>>> - have a project template, that can be copied and filled out for each new
>>> retired project.
>>>
>>> I am not touching the active site, until I have something working, and we
>>> have consensus that it is a better solution.
>>
>> If we are going to change the site generation, I suggest we start with
>> a data file containing all the retired project details and use that to
>> generate the pages.
>> That will make it easier to update the individual pages as well as the
>> include file.
>>
>> Also the data file may be useful for other purposes, so JSON might be
>> a good format.
> I was not thinking of “generation”, because we have to few projects entering
> attic that is does not have value.

It will be an initial extra cost, but long term it will make it much
easier to make changes to the main page bodies.
As well as providing useful data for external users.

> I am thinking of making something that can be plainly edited, which would
> make life easier, since it can be done directly in a browser without the need
> of having special software installed. This is of course also true for server
> side generated html, which could be a second step if we agree on it.

AFAICT your proposal will require editing two files - the main page
and the include file.
Whereas I propose a single file is used.