On 19 April 2018 at 13:27, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have done some further investigation of using JSON and Jekyll.
>
> I think JSON is not the best format for maintenance.
> This is because it is messy including chunks of text (e.g. for
> additional info on the project).
> Also it does not allow any comments.
> The format is rather strict, with lots of quotes needed, and brackets
> and braces.
>
> I think we should use YAML for the raw data, and (if necessary)
> extract a subset into a JSON file for external consumption.
>
> As to Jekyll:
>
> Jekyll can equally use a YAML data file, so it is not a problem
> changing to YAML.
>
> At present the attic-test PoC includes a single JSON data file which
> is processed in a plugin script that generates the individual page
> data.
>
> This works well (and it looks like BuildBot supports the use of Jekyll
> plugin scripts - other sites such as GitHub may not)
>
> But I think it would be better to have a separate YAML file per project.
>
> Jekyll can process these as part of a collection.
> This avoids the need to use a plugin to generate the pages.
> I think it also makes it a bit more obvious what is going on (each
> output file has an input file)
>
> And the YAML body can contain arbitrary markup to be added to the
> generated page.
> This would make it easier to preserve the extra information present in
> some of the existing xml files
>
> A question:
> On a tablet, would it be harder to maintain one file per project
> rather than a single large file?
>
> i.e. instead of updating projects.json one would need to create/update
> a projects/project.md file.

I have updated the attic-test tree with a YAML-based version:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/attic/site-test/yaml

The yaml.sh script in the parent directory will create the output in docs3/.
This should currently be identical to the output in docs2/ - apart
from the date in feed.xml

If this looks like it will be suitable for use when working from
tablets, I can tidy it up and start migrating some of the additional
text from the xdocs/projects files

If not, please advise what needs to be done to make it possible to
update the site from a tablet.